I was thinking about what motivates me to write along with what stunts me. It is a tricky tightrope and one that requires dedication, a lot of tea and a little bit of madness! I wanted to share these 20 confessions of writing including the writers that have inspired and the ones I wish would just take a very long holiday, to a volcano or something…
5 reasons I write:
- It’s the best way I have found to express myself.
- I adore words.
- When it’s right, small explosions go off inside (it may be called pride!)
- I can lose myself in a character, setting, idea or paragraph.
- I never fail to be surprised to where it can bring me.
5 things that stop me from writing:
- A lack of self-belief.
- Fear it just won’t be any good.
- A scorching day.
- A sudden burning desire to clean my flat!
- A resistance to just letting it flow.
5 writers I wish I had on speed dial (even if two of them are impossible to reach):
- Roald Dahl
- Jonathan Safran Foer
- Angela Carter
- J.K. Rowling
- Neil Gaiman
5 writers I wish would go away (or at least take a very long holiday):
- Stephanie Meyers
- Sheila O’Flanagan
- E.L. James
- Dan Brown
- All celebrity autobiography ghost writers
If you have any confessions or have found writers that inspire or annoy, please share.