Week 17 required mouth to mouth…but i found air
It was not a good week. All my good intentions for writing went out the window as the days passed and other things took priority. I didn’t even make it to writing group, a simple enough task you would think!
It would be easy to dwell on the negatives and allow them to creep in and stunt, so I am not going to. Instead I am going to list five things that were good about this erratic week and start off Week 18 with a positive attitude. In other words I am going to laugh in the face of negative thoughts. Ha, ha….
1) On Friday for the first time in a while I sat down and wrote. I had no idea what to write about or where to start, but let my mind wander. From nowhere a germ of an idea appeared and I ran with it. What resulted was a surreal and good piece of writing (if I do say so myself!), which you can have a look at here if the notion takes you!
2) My last mentoring session gave me hope. I sent over two stories I thought were pretty good and it ended up they were just that. They need tweaking and more thought, but they were well handled and I learned that I was good at dialogue (a compliment I will hold onto for the rest of the year!) Hooray….
3) I got a glimpse of my new writing studio. It’s big, bright, going to be full of paintings, drawings and the like and it’s all ours. It is a work in progress, seeing as all that’s in there is a collection of boxes and a mattress, but it exists in my imagination and is only a reach away.
4) It turns out a rejection may be a liberation. If I had been successful in this endeavor a huge amount of time and money would have to be invested. Instead I can now look at other options; short and directed courses, a writers retreat, a new laptop. It may not be how I envisaged the journey or how I wanted, it but it’s mine and I intend to make the most of it.
5) Faith is creeping back. In myself and in my writing, like a wily piece of ivy that has been in the shade for a while. The proof of success is all around me in friends and fellow writers that have gone out on a limb and reaped the rewards. They are an inspiration.
Till the 18th…it may be messy, as all good ones are!