Week 47 was a rush
This week was a rush to the end. Words galloped from brain to fingertips to page. It was all about trying to tie loose ends together, and have a few surprises along the way. So a month later, I managed 50,046 words, a day early. It was great thrill to have done it, and made me proud to have stuck to it even when the last thing I wanted to do was write.
Now out the other end, this is what I learned from the process:
- I can write even when I don’t want to and in various states (although the writing quality does suffer!) i.e hungover, shattered, fairly grumpy and just plain lazy.
- A great word, line, idea, plot, twist will come when you least expect it. Most often when you just get the trash out and let the inspired slip in.
- It is possible to write a novel quickly. Unlike the labour of pain and love that was my first novel, which took a year and a half to finish.
- I enjoy writing even when I don’t want to.
- Dedication gets things done.
- I like writing crime/mystery/things with a twist.
- I need to find that story that gets my blood boiling and brain zinging. I don’t think I’ve found it yet.
- I seem pretty good at writing from a child’s point of view.
- I plan to do it again next year, but with a lot more thought and preparation prior to November.
- Madness can come when you let it!
So the question is now what to do with it? Is it worth editing and finishing properly (even though there are plot holes as big as gorges in it)? Is it a story worth pursuing? I intend to finish it in its current state to get the story sewn up, but after that who knows. Maybe after Christmas I will have a greater understanding of what’s next.
Otherwise I have been reading submissions for The Bohemyth. It’s an experience that’s great fun and also strange as I’m not used to being on this side of the process. Along with reading some great prose, it will allow me to learn a lot about myself and my own writing, and give me the chance to experience writing I may not have encountered otherwise. I’m excited to see what the issue brings.
Writing this I realise there are only five more entries of this diary to go before I have charted a whole year. The next stage is still hazy. Do I continue it, but as a monthly post instead of a weekly? Should it morph into something else or remain as it is? Is it useful to other people or more an indulgence on my part? Answers on a postcard please (or better yet in the comments box)?!